of a Natural (Soulful) House
Design and build a house with the
following characteristics and it will be lived in and
loved by people you will never meet — people who
will be born after you are gone.
- It comes to feel
a part of the site yet doesn't dominate it.
- It focuses
attention on life (both inside and outside its walls) and not on itself.
- It is scaled to
human proportions yet has some unexpected surprises.
- It is forgiving
of clutter and ages gracefully.
- It has sufficient space but is not excessively
- It looks smaller on the outside than it feels on the
- It has both expansive social spaces and cozy private
- It is connected to the outdoors through transition
spaces such as porches, decks, patios and sunrooms.
- Living flows in and out of doors and the two are
linked together through the landscaping.
- It uses materials that are honest about where they
- It is designed to adapt to changing needs. Expansion
is planned for.
| The house
described above can exist outside of fashion and live a long
life if people continue to want to live in it. Houses die when people
wanting to live there.
Even poor construction (click the photo
stop us from loving places that are built with soul.
Parco dei Mostri. Bomarzo, Italy.
(The Garden of Monsters) Click to enlarge.
photo courtesy of Philip Greenspun
[Got to the NEXT article]
[Go to the
BEGINNING of the